Saturday, June 11, 2011

Tanja & Marty - Married

This was the most Richmond wedding I've ever attended. I LOVED it. The people, the vendors, the atmosphere...everything had a unique RVA flavor to it and I felt so inspired just being there. There's something about this city that inspires me; maybe that's why so many artists live here. Tanja and Marty are two amazing individuals; Tanja may be a big bad doctor now, and Marty has his master's degree in something (sorry man, I think you told me what but I can't remember...), but these two can party like no one else. Their joy was infectious.

Even though the entire day felt like a big party, there was a deeper undercurrent of meaning that touched every part. In 2007, Marty's brother Jonny passed away in a car accident while riding his bike home to the Fan in Richmond. From what I've been told and read about him, he was just as infectiously joyful as Marty; an artist and musician, he left a huge impact on the community around him. Art 180, a community of artists of all kinds whose motto is "change through art," now hosts an annual Jonny Z Festival, where bands and artists and people who knew and loved him come together to celebrate his life. It was obvious that most people at Tanja and Marty's wedding had been touched by Jonny. The groomsmen wore yellow shirts with his face on them, and pins were circulated at the reception that said "Be like Jonny Z." It was amazing to see the impact that someone can have, even after they are gone from this earth, on so many people. It was an honor for me to be a part of it and to witness it; my respect for Tanja and Marty, and now Jonny, is tremendous. So, as you look at these pictures, keep that in mind. And enjoy one of my favorite weddings so far this season. :)













In case it's not already obvious to you, I was pretty obsessed with her tattoo. I think Jennie was too. Sorry, Tanja, if you have like 25 pictures of your tattoo...




I COULD post a bunch of pictures from the ceremony of Marty tearing up, but I won't embarrass him like that. ;)



















Tanja and Marty, you guys are awesome.


See an article on Jonny Z here.
Ceremony & Reception site - The Boathouse at Rockett's Landing
Wedding cake - Blackbird Bakery
Reception Band - No BS Brass

No comments:

Post a Comment