1. My identity is so changeable. I find the need to reshape and redefine it with every person I meet. I think about Paul in 1st Corinthians 9, writing about how he is 'all things to all people.' Except I can't pat myself on the back for being like Paul, because his motivation was to share the gospel. Mine is generally just to impress people. Pride is an insidious thing.
2. We had a wonderful conversation at small group tonight about convictions and accountability and life. Basically, the conclusion we came to (or at least that I came to) is that no kind of healthy community is possible without love and humility. We walk a fine tightrope between legalism and apathy, being overly critical and too hands-off. The slightest breeze of pride or selfishness will knock us into the abyss one way or the other. This seems impossible. Thank God for grace.
3. I really need to write this paper.
This is a wonderful post. It's very "current" for me and my thoughts right now. Thanks Sara.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing, Sara! I love your thoughtful posts just as much as I love your photo posts :) My pride has been welling up lately, too. It's definitely been a conscious effort to keep it under control. I've discovered that, for me, it is usually a defense mechanism for some stupid insecurity. Anyway... hope you are doing reaaalllly awesome!
ReplyDelete